Tuesday, September 15, 2009

the final plan

Me, Mangesh and Aakanksha plan to start at 5-30 every morning and then go on till 9-00 maybe with two ten-minute breaks in between and then take a breakfast break. Sarita and Swati will join us at that time and after tea and some stuff to eat we will amble off again with them round 9-30 or 10 and keep walking albeit a bit slower till 11-30 by which time we expect to cover at least 30 kms . At this point the car will pick us up and take us the nearest motel room where we would bathe, do our yoga stretches and get a nap after lunch. The car would drop us off round 4-00 pm at where it picked us up and we will then walk till 7-00 pm to complete our daily grind.

On the day on which I practice fully I do 25 kms – which though much less than the 40kms or 50kms targeted during the final walk is still enough since it is accomplished after 6-8 hours of office and often with only 5 hours of sleep at night. In the walk we plan to sleep 2 hours by day and another 8 by night –plus there will be the healthy food, the continuous intake of nimbu paani , ( and hopefully the wife in a pampering mood )and the total absence of stress- all of which should help increases the timing to 8 hours.

We originally planned to start on the 18th morning but then one of our friends chipped in with the info that it was amavasya and hence a bad day to start a good thing. I don’t actually believe in all this stuff but then Swati does- as also Sarita and both felt that since we know it is an inauspicious day why start!!!! We could have started on the 19th which is a good day to begin but then it would upset the schedule a lot since we plan to return back the day before Dussera ( Mangesh Swati have major Dussera celebrations at home) and starting late would leave us with no buffer, which at one day is too lean anyway. It could rain , a calf muscle could strain, someone could fall sick and any number of possible mishaps occur.

Now we start at 4-00 pm tomorrow . All will assemble at our house, break the coconut and start for Apoorva’s house . Whereas Sarita , Swati and Mangesh will just symbolically walk and then head back home I and Aakanksha will walk three hours to get there. They will join up there later , celebrate Sarita’s birthday (she turns 51 on the 17th) and sleep over. Next day morning as we head back to the road Sarita and Swati will come back home ( as they are working on Friday) and join us only on Saturday morning when Rohit - Apoorva will drop them to where we are.


Gossh its scaryyy. But I had no option had I?? When I was fervently praying for Sarita’s recovery and this thought flashed across my mind, we both knew I had thought this , did we not - God and I. Could I have then faced him and my self if I had suppressed the thought and pretended it had not occurred- and yet prayed on. Could I say “Please Please God take care of her and sorry yaar but I can’t put myself to the inconvenience of a walk of 400kms but you do your job – OKKKK!!!” So if the thought occurred I HAD to commit to it. And once committed where was the question of going back on it ?

Going back can be easy “Ohh God I would have but you know my knees hurt !! Business God business - who will take care of it ? I know I was reckless but you are forgiving are you not – so let it be.” Or the perennial favorite “Of course I am going to do it God but I did not mention a time period did I? Just you watch what I do “ and then wait for the next mishap to happen and then cry and say “ I know I let you down Godd but this time- just this one more timeee”

Whatever I did and said He would know and maybe even forgive me- but I would know too and I am not a forgiving guy- at least not for myself. It is not the fear of what God would do that scares me- just the fact that when I next peep into myself to talk to him , he just may not respond. If I have to face myself I have got to do what I said I would. And I don’t want Neelesh telling me all my life I let him down.

4 comments:

  1. Y feel scared! Dont be..you have come uptill here now there are no worries..All of us are with you on this..so Darr ko maro goli!
    Remember those days when I used to be scared before my exams and always wanted to revise one last time,you used to be the one who used to tell me "Darr mat tujhe sab kuch aataa hai,so ja..aur relax kar" Those words used to give me so much strength that I would have written ten thousand exams only on the strength of those words...
    Now I give them back to you..here they are-
    "Relax Karo Papa,darna nahin,mujhe pata hai sab kuch theek hoga...aur Kulkarnis ne to issase mushkil zindagi ki walks ki hain..ye to Aapke liye kuch bhi nahin...once u start walking,pata bhi nahin chalega kab khattam ho gayee walk...So all the best and dont worry,coz that has never helped anybody!and also Worrying dosent suit you Love you!and keep Walking and bloggin!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neelesh is one of those unrelenting types, huh? Tell him to be quiet! :P
    Stop worrying cb, you're going to sail through it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. very good, following through with promises to God, self and family!
    I will be reading your blog with great interest, and stand behind you 100%. Have a fantastic jouourney.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a very well laid out plan from beginning to goal, Neelesh...so Cheers!...Good luck and a very Happy Birthday to Sarita tomorrow!....an auspicious start indeed!....wishing her many many happy returns of the day, with the Walkerman in tow!:-)

    ReplyDelete